Table of Contents
FY'20: Weston Budget Process as described by LWV of Weston publication
CONTENTS OF THIS PAGE: Three parts - Boards of Ed and Selectmen, Board of Finance and ATBM/Referendum
PUBLIC NOTICE: Board of Finance Public Hearing - Tuesday, March 26, 2019, 8:00 p.m, Weston Middle School Library.
BOARD OF FINANCE REVIEW OVER
BUDGET PROCESS...BOARD OF FINANCE review, Public Hearing and action dates
- Board of Selectmen's Budget review March 4 and 5 if necessary, 7:30pm, Town Hall Meeting Room
- Board of Education Budget review March 6 and 7 if necessary, 7:30pm Town Hall Meeting Room
- PUBLIC HEARING: Tuesday, March 26th at 8pm, W.M.S. Library (and 27th if necessary, as well)
- Tuesday April 2nd, Board of Finance "deliberation meeting" - not held on Monday, April first.
- Wednesday, April 24th, A.T.B.M. at 8pm, W.H.S. Auditorium (quorum of 130 required in order to hold the meeting)
- Referendum: Saturday May 4th, 12 noon to 8pm, Town Hall
- Board of Finance meets May 9th to set mil rate.
FINANCE REVIEW OF SELECTMEN (MONDAY MARCH 4)
Should be interesting...and perhaps instructive of any direction to be taken elsewhere...
WE FOUND OUT FROM 3 SOURCES NOW THAT THE LIBRARY RECEIVED A POSITIVE 8-24 AT P&Z (conflict with.
About Town watched the Board of Finance as they reviewed the Board of Selectmen's budget ...follow along HERE - this was exactly what was shown.
- Discussion ensued.
- Chairman of the Finance
Board invited everyone in town to attend the March 12th meeting of the
Finance Board - who will be joined by the Board of Education and the
Selectmen at 7:30pm at the W.M.S. Library.
- Although we only watched live for an hour plus (Tuesday morning we watched the rest online), it
seemed clear to me that the members were furious, suspicious and ready
to take on the "Progressives" at C.G.A.
(R) New Canaan Tea House - watercolor M.S. Wirtenberg
Time for another "Tea Party?" And we're referring to the pre-American Revolution Boston Tea Party,
- As noted above, Tuesday we watched the rest of
this just a bit under 3 hour meeting Finance Board meeting - perhaps we
should charge for admission on Wednesday?
- (L) Retaining legal assistance to determine for
ourselves as a region what is Constitutionally out of line in Hartford
(my words), prior to engaging in legal action might be a course of
- Will this be done and end up in the U.S. Supreme Court some day?
FINANCE REVIEW OF EDUCATION (WEDNESDAY MARCH 6)
Finance Board MARCH 6, 2019: To be continued? Nope!
We left at 9:35pm, when some school administrators did...
Bottom line: Nobody likes it. Board of Education won't
budge. Probably will continue Thursday with detailed review - nope!!!.
Are some thinking of suggesting selling tickets to the Board of
Finance Public Hearing March 26th? How about the "Deliberation Meeting" in MSG?
Finance takes a close look (but not too close...). Board of Ed called on what they have
achieved in keeping cost steady at 2% and the answer was make that 4%
(my version of the answer).
FROM KEN DIXON: https://www.ctpost.com/politics/article/One-percent-tax-would-hit-one-percenters-hardest-13665808.php
BUDGET PROCESS (Town side includes CAPITAL BUDGET):
Is the Weston Board of Finance up to dealing with the various threats? Governor explains the need to do something to improve transportation at warp speed.
HOW WILL STATE OF CONNECTICUT'S OFF-LOADING OF TEACHER RETIREMENT AFFECT THIS?
We note that the Administration has issued this memo: https://www.westonps.org/uploaded/documents/Central_Office/19_20Budget/BOE_FY20_Reductions_Memo_012219_(3).pdf
AT THE SELECTMEN MON. FEB. 4 - NO ACTION CAN BE TAKEN
SCHOOL BUDGET CALENDAR
ESTABLISH STUDENT VOLUNTEER CORPS FOR CREDIT? Just our idea!
First we've seen of Education budget - new course proposed on government/politics/civics or whatever (full
year). About Town hopes someone might ask about involvement of
juniors and senior in how a town budget is developed! And fwiw,
how local government works.
PROPOSED SCHOOL BUDGET
Some things will change, but Board of Education issuing their
budget as early as possible. We note that Weston-Today will have a
report or two or three...on the Education Budget before it arrives at
either the Board of Selectmen, who cannot take action on it, or the
Board of Finance who, after their own Public Hearing, can.
THE FINAL BOARD OF EDUCATION BUDGET AND VOTE
We note that the Administration had issued this memo suggesting place to cut: https://www.westonps.org/uploaded/documents/Central_Office/19_20Budget/BOE_FY20_Reductions_Memo_012219_(3).pdf
POWER POINT: https://www.westonps.org/uploaded/FY_20_Budget_Presentatio
Board of Education approves a FY'20 budget.1-24-19..
- WHAT HAPPENED? 5-2 vote in favor of 3.93% increase instead 0f 4.32% (thank you, Weston-Today.com).
- Board of Ed can't read tea leaves - word of shift in tax burden coming Monday at Finance Board meeting?
- Thursday vote on
staff-proposed budget - proposed cut areas; looks as if there will be capital projects added
on top of operating budget...
- What's up this week? EDUCATION BUDGET discussion prior to meeting...if you are not up to reading the fine print, check out the power point!
- Well, the Board of Education, having posted Budget Q&A on its
website (via CABE) is receiving comments on Jan. 22nd at 6pm prior to
its Regular meeting at 7:30pm (WMS Library, we assume)
- With the request for Security funds not included in the Capital Budget, is the Board of Ed telling the Selectmen in Exec Session to watch out for an incoming Special Appropriation request in FY'20?
First Selectman's Budget Message
TOWN BUDGET REVIEW SCHEDULE
This is the process we watch as closely as possible. Both Town and
School Capital Projects included here. Board of Selectmen adopt
their budget Feb. 11, 2019. 3.3% increase.
SUMMARY OF BOARD OF SELECTMEN'S BUDGET
First Selectman's Budget becomes thr Board of Selectmen's Budget after a vote.
Graphic comparison between Town and School budgets
WATCH OUT WESTON...
Elsewhere means other school districts as well as other levels of governments.
Shelton Mayor says no increase: https://www.ctpost.com/local/article/Lauretti-No-increase-for-Shelton-schools-13564207.php
At Council of Small Towns: https://ctmirror.org/2019/01/16/lawmakers-renew-teacher-pension-cost-sharing-debate/
Norwalk School Board cut request to only 6%: https://www.thehour.com/news/article/Norwalk-school-board-approves-202-million-budget-13538878.php
More Greenwich (2% increase projected for School Budget): https://www.greenwichtime.com/local/article/School-board-approves-budget-after-1-million-cut-13482681.php
Greenwich looking to big increase (for them): https://www.greenwichtime.com/local/article/Greenwich-could-face-sharp-tax-hike-13323041.php
Based upon our back of the napkin calculation, a "mil" is...move the
decimal place to the left by 3. Which for Weston 2019 is $2.3